Welcome to So Much Guitar
Your Premier "Axe Authority"
Greetings fellow guitar lover! If you're here, chances are you are interested in learning more about the its history, specific types of instruments (e.g. electric, acoustic), or becoming a better player. This site is designed to be a comprehensive forum for history, lessons, and much more. Have you ever wondered . .
- Who invented it?
- How does one work?
- How do you start playing?
- What are the differences between an electric and an acoustic?
- How do you buy one?
- Who are some of the best players?
If so, then you're at the right place. I share your love and passion for guitars and many types of music as well. I have been a professional musician and instructor for over 20 years, and as such I'm very passionate about sharing my knowledge. I have taught countless numbers of students how to play and would like nothing more than to help you become a better musician.
Whether it's history, lessons, or knowledge of the instrument itself, I want to help you understand how these stringed beauties work. Maybe you've been playing for a long time yourself, but want to expand your understanding of a different form of music (e.g. you're a rock player wanting to learn about jazz). Or maybe you're just starting out and need a "roadmap" on how to get started. In addition to providing a substantial history of the instrument as well as detailed information on various players, we offer several free lessons as well as reviews of some of the more popular lessons available today.
Eric Clapton at Crossroads
Guitarists have had a defining role in many forms of music in the last 100 years, including rock, blues, shred, metal, country, and jazz. One of the main purposes of this site is to help you understand the role of the instrument in these genres of music as well as having a better understanding of the instruments themselves. It doesn't matter what kind of music you like, whether it's Bob Dylan or Jimi Hendrix. Hopefully, you'll find some information here to help you become a better musician or, if you're not interested in actually playing, to help you understand the instrument's role in music history a little better.
If you're in the market for a new or used instrument or are interested
in lessons, I also have numerous helpful reviews of various types
as well as reviews of both free and paid lessons to help you become a
better player. If you don't know much about how to buy a musical instrument or how to tell good lessons from bad ones, it can be pretty intimidating. I'm glad to help in any way I can.
It doesn't matter if you prefer the screaming
sound of an electric or the smooth flow of classical, I
love all things guitar, and I hope you'll find something useful or
interesting on my site. If there's something you'd like to see more of or something you don't understand, please let me know. Thanks for visiting.
- History of the Guitar
- If you're interested in the history of the guitar - whether electric, acoustic or classical - this is a good place to begin!
- The Electric Guitar - An Introduction
- Who invented the electric guitar? What is the best model for beginners? These are just some of the questions you'll learn about in this brief introduction to electric guitars.
- The Acoustic Guitar - An Introduction
- What is the history of the acoustic guitar? What is the difference between acoustic guitars and electrics? How much should I spend on a quality acoustic?
- The Classical Guitar - An Introduction
- Have you ever wondered what makes the classical guitar distinctive? Why are these guitars more suitable for classical music than others? Can you play other types of music on a classical guitar?
- Rock Guitar - An Introduction
- The history of rock guitar and rock music itself are inseparable. There is perhaps no other instrument so closely aligned with rock music as the screaming, overdriven sound of an electric guitar.
- Blues Guitar - An Introduction
- Blues guitar is inseparable from the rise of the blues itself, a distinctly American art form with roots in gospel and African music.
- Country Guitar - An Introduction
- The bright twang of country guitar is as much a part of country music as are lyrics about being drunk, a cheating wife, and a broken down pickup truck.
- Jazz Guitar - An Introduction
- The role of jazz guitar within the world of jazz itself has evolved considerably since the early days of this distinctly American music.
- Guitar Brands
- If you are shopping for a new or even used guitar, you will likely compare different guitar brands to see which ones offer the features, sound, and price points that fit your needs.
- Guitar Accessories
- In addition to the guitar itself, players rely upon a wide variety of guitar accessories that can help with everything from cleaning the guitar to basic guitar maintenance to more accurate tuning.
- Influential Guitarists
- A number of players on any list of influential guitarists earned their spot due to their unique contributions to the instrument regarding their technique, style, or originality.
- Essential Listening - Top Guitar Albums
- Like so many "lists," a compendium of essential listening of top guitar albums is subjective. Still, certain albums and specific recordings do deserve special mention.
- Guitar Lessons - Navigating the Maze
- Searching for quality guitar lessons can be very frustrating. Fortunately, we have numerous recommendations for videos, books, and online lessons that we think are worth the investment.
- Guitar Charts
- If you are trying to master chords, scales, and arpeggios, guitar charts can be very helpful, assuming you have charts that have been well-designed and you know how to use them properly.
- Guitar Tabs
- For guitarists wanting to learning complex tunes, guitar tabs can be very helpful, though there are right and wrong ways to use them.
- Guitar Repair
- Few topics are as important as guitar repair. No matter how much you try to protect your instruments from harm, eventually you will need to enlist the services of a qualified repairman.
- Guitar Maintenance
- Guitar maintenance is a crucial topic for any guitarist since a properly cared-for guitar will sound, play, and last much longer than a guitar that's poorly maintained.
- Guitar Tuning
- While many beginning guitarists are initially put off by how difficult it is to get the guitar in perfect tune, once you understand a few basic concepts, guitar tuning is relatively easy.
- Buying Guitars - A Brief Guide
- Like any major purchase, buying guitars can be both exciting and a bit scary, but if you follow some easy guidelines, you'll be more satisfied with your guitar in the end.
- Guitar Packages - Worth the Cost?
- Guitar packages (either electric or acoustic) can be good deals for beginners who are looking for an "all in one" solution, provided you know how to shop wisely.
- Guitar Gear
- Learning about the various types of guitar gear is part of being a serious player. Most guitar players supplement their sound with different amplifiers, effects devices, tuning aids, and the like.
- Guitar Gear Reviews
- Guitar gear reviews can prove to be very helpful if you're shopping for guitars, amps, effects, or other guitar-related items, assuming you read or watch reviews from a trusted source.
- About So Much Guitar!
- If you want to know more about So Much Guitar!, here's the place to look!